Schulich School of Education – Professor
Graduate Coordinator – MSc Kinesiology
office: AC 201-J
tel: (705) 474-3450
BKin (Honours), McMaster University;
MA, University of Ottawa;
PhD, University of Western Ontario
Areas of Specialization:
- Applied sport psychology interventions (e.g., imagery, modeling)
- Children's physical activity promotion
My research program explores strategies for creating positive sport and physical activity experiences, with a focus on children. Projects explore topics such as:
- Use of mental skills to enhancing learning, performance, and self-beliefs
- Children's development of physical literacy
- School-based physical activity
- Coaches' integration of sport psychology into practice
Dr. Law is also a certified Mental Performance Consultant through the Canadian Sport Psychology Association (CSPA-ACPS). She has provided mental training services and workshops to athletes, teams, and coaches from recreational to elite competitive levels.
- PHED 2026 Sport & Exercise Psychology
- PHED 3306 Statistics in Physical Activity
- KINE 5206 Integrative Seminar in Kinesiology
Dr. Law is a founder of the Sport Psychology for Coaches website; a free resource for coaches with credible and up to date sport psychology information.
For more information, please visit the Sport Psychology for Coaches website:
Papers in Refereed Journals:
- Tremblay MS, Longmuir PE, Barnes JD, Belanger K, Anderson KD, Bruner B, Copeland JL, Delisle Nyström C, Gregg MJ, Hall N, Kolen AM, Lane KN, Law B, MacDonald DJ, Martin LJ, Saunders TJ, Sheehan D, Stone MR, Woodruff SJ. Physical literacy levels of Canadian children aged 8-12 years: Descriptive and normative results from the RBC Learn to Play CAPL Project. BMC Public Health, 18(Supple 2); 1036.
- Law B, Bruner BG, Scharoun-Benson, SM, Anderson KD, Gregg MJ, Hall N, Kolen AM, Lane KN, MacDonald DJ, Saunders TJ, Sheehan DP, Stone MR, Woodruff SJ, Belanger K, Barnes JD, Longmuir PE, Tremblay MS. Associations between teacher training and measures of physical literacy among Canadian 8 to 12 year old students. BMC Public Health, in press.
- MacDonald, DJ, Saunders, TJ. Longmuir, PE, Barnes, J., Belanger, K., Bruner, BG., Copeland, JL, Gregg, MJ, Hall, N., Kolen, AM, Law, B., Martin, LJ, Sheehan, D., Woodruff, SJ, &Tremblay, MS (September, 2017). A cross-sectional study exploring the relationship between age, sex, and physical measures with adequacy in and predilection for physical activity. BMC Public Health, in press.
- Belanger, K., Longmuir, PE., Barnes, JD., Anderson, KD., Bruner, BG., Copeland, JL., Gregg, MJ., Hall, N., Withers, SH., Kolen, AM., Lane, KN., Law, B., MacDonald, DJ., Martin, LJ., Saunders, TJ., Sheehan, D., Stone, M., Woodruff, SJ., Tremblay, MS. The relationship between physical literacy scores and adherence to Canadian physical activity and sedentary behaviour guidelines. BMC Public Health, in press..
- Saunders, TJ., MacDonald, DJ., Copeland, JL., Longmuir, PE., Barnes, JD., Belanger, K., Bruner, BG., Gregg, MJ., Hall, N., Kolen, AM., Law, B., Martin, LJ., Sheehan, D., Stone, M., Woodruff, SJ., Tremblay, MS. The relationship between sedentary behaviour and physical literacy in Canadian children: a cross-sectional analysis from the RBC-CAPL Learn to Play study. BMC Public Health, in press.
- Lang, JJ., Chaput, JP., Longmuir, PE., Barnes, JD., Belanger, K., Tomkinson, GR., Anderson, KD., Bruner, BG., Copeland, JL., Gregg, MJ., Hall, N., Kolen, AM., Lane, KN., Law, B., MacDonald, DJ., Martin, LJ., Saunders, TJ., Sheehan, D., Stone, M., Woodruff, SJ., Tremblay, MS. Cardiorespiratory fitness is associated with physical literacy among Canadian children aged 8 to 12 years. BMC Public Health, in press.
- McGuckin, M. E., Law, B., McAuliffe, J., Rickwood, G. & Bruner, M. W. (2016). Social influences on return to play following concussion in female competitive ice hockey players. Journal of Sport Behavior, 39(4), 426-445.
- Pope, J. P., Westlund, N., Law, B., Hall, C., Gregg, M., & Robertson, R. (2015). Knowledge transfer of sport psychology to coaches: Coaches’ use of online resources. International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching, 10(6), 1055-1070. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1260/1747-95184.108.40.2065
- McGoey, T., Root, Z., Bruner, M. W., & Law, B. (2015). Evaluation of physical activity interventions in children via the Reach, Efficacy/Effectiveness, Adoption, Implementation, and Maintenance (RE-AIM) Framework: A systematic review of randomised and non-randomised trials. Preventive Medicine, 82, 8-19. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2015.11.004
- Westlund, N., Divine, A., O, J., & Law, B. (2015). Considerations for conducting imagery interventions in physical education settings. Journal of Imagery Research in Sport and Physical Activity, 10(1), 31-47. doi: 10.1515/jirspa-2015-0001
- MacIntosh, E., & Law, B. (2015). Should I stay or should I go? Exploring the decision to join, maintain, or cancel a fitness membership. Managing Sport and Leisure, 20(3), 191-210. DOI:10.1080/23750472.2015.1025093
- Edwards, J., Law, B., & Latimer, A. E. (2012). Effects of an imagery workshop on coaches’ encouragement of imagery use. International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching, 7(2), 317-331. doi 10.1260/1747-95220.127.116.117
- Ste-Marie , D.M., Law, B., Rymal, A.M., O, J., Hall, C., & McCullagh, P. (2012). Observation interventions for motor skill learning and performance: An applied model for the use of observation. International Review of Sport and Exercise Psychology, doi: 10.1080/1750984X.2012.665076
- Law, B. & Hall, C. (2009). The relationship between skill level, age, and golfers’ observational learning use. The Sport Psychologist, 23(1), 42-58.
- Law, B., Driediger, M., Hall, C., & Forwell, L. (2006). Imagery use, perceived pain, limb functioning and satisfaction in athletic injury rehabilitation. New Zealand Journal of Physiotherapy, 34(1), 10-16.
- Law, B. & Ste-Marie, D. M. (2005). The effect of self-modeling on figure skating jump performance and psychological variables. European Journal of Sport Science, 5, 143-152. doi: 10.1080/17461390500159273
- Gregg, M., Law, B., O, J., & Davies, K. (2012). Understanding Sport Psychology: Activities for Putting it all Together. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing.
- McCullagh, P., Law, B., & Ste-Marie, D. M. (2012). Chapter 13: Modeling and performance. In S. Murphy (Ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Sport and Performance Psychology. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Dr. Law is accepting graduate students and undergraduate thesis students for the 2019-2020 academic year. Interested students should contact her directly.